The MSPME successfully addresses the strategic and holistic demands of modern projects in contemporary organisations by providing students with a systematic understanding of knowledge in an emerging field that combines:
* Project management as a process to deliver complex change; and
* Strategic management as a process for formulating and implementing organisational strategy
Over the period of study, students will develop knowledge to critically examine theoretical and practical perspectives, develop key employability skills such as teamwork and leadership, whilst developing competencies to facilitate business transformation, continuous improvement, organizational change, value creation and strategy implementation.
Successful graduates will be awarded a degree from each University.
Career ProspectsMSPME graduates are highly sought after by business and industry worldwide. As organisations increasingly implementing business strategy through projects there is a strong demand for graduates with skills in this area. Many MSPME graduates actually secure jobs before graduation as the unique project management skills and knowledge they have gained are so in demand by employers.
Graduates of the MSPME go on to successful careers in a variety of specialised project management roles, mainly at middle to senior management level. These include strategy consultant, project manager, global procurement manager, operations director, senior planning analyst, quality manager, service delivery manager, planning & control engineer, market analyst, and risk specialist,
Organisations employing MSPME graduates include global organisations such as IBM, Sony, Hewlett Packard, the European Commission, the World Bank, Babcock International and StatOil ASA.
Many MSPME graduates also return to their home countries to work with national organisations there and such examples include World Vision International in Nepal, a UN Development programme in Iran, and NGOs in Brazil, Mexico and Vietnam.
MSPME also provides entry qualification to doctoral study at many universities and several MSPME graduates are currently undertaking doctorate studies at various European universities.
Semester 1: Heriot Watt University
* Strategic Project Management
* Competitive Strategy
* Business Models: Themes and Issues
* Strategic Change
Semester 2: Politecnico di Milano
* Business Statistics
* Management Accounting and Control
* Project Management 1
* Project Management 2
* Project Procurement
* Project Risk Analysis and Management
Semester 3: Umeå University:
* Research Methods
* Strategic Project Management Decision Making
* Masters Thesis
Universities in the United Kingdom use a centralized system of undergraduate application: University and College Admissions Service (UCAS). It is used by both domestic and international students. Students have to register on the UCAS website before applying to the university. They will find all the necessary information about the application process on this website. Some graduate courses also require registration on this website, but in most cases students have to apply directly to the university. Some universities also accept undergraduate application through Common App (the information about it could be found on universities' websites).
Both undergraduate and graduate students may receive three types of responses from the university. The first one, “unconditional offer” means that you already reached all requirements and may be admitted to the university. The second one, “conditional offer” makes your admission possible if you fulfill some criteria – for example, have good grades on final exams. The third one, “unsuccessful application” means that you, unfortunately, could not be admitted to the university of you choice.
All universities require personal statement, which should include the reasons to study in the UK and the information about personal and professional goals of the student and a transcript, which includes grades received in high school or in the previous university.
MSPME offers a number of scholarship opportunities. These are highly competitive and include: * Erasmus + Scholarships These scholarships are available to Third Country and European applicants. Applicants who wish to be considered for this scholarship should indicate the type of scholarship on their online application form for MSPME. No separate scholarship application is necessary.
* Deadline: CLOSED
* MSPME Consortium Scholarships These scholarships are awarded on merit to non-Erasmus Mundus funded students. Applicants who wish to be considered for this scholarship should indicate the type of scholarship on their online application form for MSPME. The types of scholarships available are:
* Overseas Students - awards of 4,500 (top performers) to 3,000 (high performers)
* European Union Students - awards of 3,000 (top performers) to 2,000 (high performers)
* Deadline: 30th April 2014
* Alumni Scholarships These scholarships offer a 20% discount on fees to alumni of Heriot-Watt, Politecnico di Milano and Umeå. Applicants who wish to be considered for an Alumni Scholarship should indicate this on their online application form for MSPME.
* Deadline: 30th April 2014